Therapeutic Area Lead
Closing Date: 28 Oct 16
Type: Full Time
Salary (£): On Application
Relocation has been designated for this position.The PositionTherapeutic Area Leader - Product Development (PDG) OncologyThe Therapeutic Area Leader (TAL) provides leadership to develop & deliver global strategies for implementation and execution of Roche’s Oncology portfolio.The TAL provides strategic input into the Roche oncology portfolio and manages a team of senior Operational Program Leaders to deliver on projects in line with PDG operational plans and overarching PD strategy. ...
Relocation has been designated for this position.
Therapeutic Area Leader - Product Development (PDG) Oncology
The Therapeutic Area Leader (TAL) provides leadership to develop & deliver global strategies for implementation and execution of Roche’s Oncology portfolio.
The TAL provides strategic input into the Roche oncology portfolio and manages a team of senior Operational Program Leaders to deliver on projects in line with PDG operational plans and overarching PD strategy.
As a member of the Oncology Operational Leadership Team (OOLT), TALs contribute to defining and implementing PDG’s Oncology vision, priorities, and strategy. The TALs partners with a broad set of senior stakeholders across the franchises and global functions to enable smart development & delivery of the oncology PD portfolio.
The Therapeutic Area Leader position:
- Leads development of Disease Area Operational Strategy by:
- Designing strategic frameworks to inform operational delivery of the portfolio
- Enhancing cross functional collaborations and practices to support efficient execution on the oncology operational strategy
- Developing a long term Disease Area Operational strategy to support future operations of oncology clinical trials
- Leading a Disease Operational Team (DOT)
- Providing functional management to the Program Leadership Group (Operational Program Leaders)
This position reports to the Global Head of PDG Oncology and is Basel, Welwyn, or South San Francisco-based
Major Responsibilities and Accountabilities
- Contributes functional expertise to the development of the operational strategy and participates actively at Development Review Committees (DRCs) as the PDG reviewer.
- Accountable for the delivery of programs and studies in respective oncology Disease Areas (DA).
- Anticipates new trends in competitive or disease area landscape to guide the organizational strategy accordingly.
- Recognizes opportunities to create value for Roche Oncology and proactively lead efforts to maximize PDG’s competitive advantage through such efforts.
- Assesses different operating models to incorporate new and novel approaches to planning and execution of clinical programs
- Applies strong analytical skills to translate data to strategies and action plans.
- Effectively collaborates across the 4 oncology DAs to ensure consistency and best practices are implemented.
- As a member of the OOLT:
- Contributes to defining and implementing the strategic direction, objectives and goals for the Oncology TA as well as the DAs.
- Provides a consolidated overview of programs within their DA including the strategy, status and project issues.
- Works with other leaders to remove barriers at the program level.
- Contributes actively to making the Oncology Operations Leadership Team into a highly functioning team.
- Proactively works cross functionally to ensure Program Leadership resources are efficient and effective:
- Actively participates in appropriate governance at the cross Therapeutic Area level.
- Collaborates effectively with leaders and staff within and outside PDG to ensure PDG Oncology is meeting its business objectives.
- Provides leadership, coaching, and line management to global staff in the assigned DA.
- Provides strategic guidance to the OPLs personnel on their programs to ensure they are contributing at a high level of excellence on their teams.
- Ensures the performance of employees is proactively managed and they are coached, trained and developed in order to maximize their contribution.
Who you are
You’re someone who wants to influence your own development. You’re looking for a company where you have the opportunity to pursue your interests across functions and geographies. Where a job title is not considered the final definition of who you are, but the starting point.
In hiring new employees, we look for people who are also inspired by our mission and who would fit in well with the collaborative, rigorous and entrepreneurial spirit of the company culture. Because we know that employees are critical to our success in bringing novel medicines to patients, we are dedicated to remaining a great place to work and to providing employees with programs, services and benefits that allow them to bring the best to the business and to their personal lives.
- A science degree is required, ideally combined with an MBA, PhD, PharmD, MD or other advanced degree
- Significant (6+ years) pharmaceutical operational, commercial, strategic, and/or analytical experience
- Clinical Operational experience is not required but is helpful. Equivalent experience in strategic consulting, pipeline management and/or strategic analytics will be considered.
- Strong knowledge in the area of oncology, including external trends and issues in the global oncology landscape
- Comprehensive understanding of clinical development in international settings
- Track record of analytics and strategy development
- Demonstrates strong communication and collaboration skills
- Proven experience in meeting or exceeding goals
- Strong project management skills
- Good communication skills and ability to quickly build respect and gain the confidence of stakeholders. Combines courage and independence with a flexible approach to issues and problem solving where this is appropriate
- Demonstrated ability to manage a diverse group of staff. Has experience in managing direct reports either as a functional/line manager or co-accountable for performance management in a matrix team
- Demonstrated ability to lead and work in a matrix environment and to be effective when working with different cultures
- Proactively seeks to lead and manage individuals and teams to higher performance. Recruits and develops talent.
- Fluency in verbal and written English. Any other language skills may be an asset
- Travel: Frequent international travel will be required at times. The amount may vary with the role, location and business circumstance.
Who we are
A member of the Roche Group, Genentech has been at the forefront of the biotechnology industry for more than 40 years, using human genetic information to develop novel medicines for serious and life-threatening diseases.Genentech has multiple therapies on the market for cancer & other serious illnesses. Please take this opportunity to learn about Genentech where we believe that our employees are our most important asset & are dedicated to remaining a great place to work.
Roche is an equal opportunity employer and strictly prohibits unlawful discrimination based upon an individual’s race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, national origin/ancestry, age, mental/physical disability, medical condition, marital status, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.