Vice President, Business Development-136655
Location: Europe, Middle East & Africa-UK-England-Cambridge
Closing Date: 06 Dec 16
Type: Full Time
Salary (£): On Application
Provides leadership and oversight of global business development for Biopharma Partnerships by defining strategy, governance, planning and execution of innovative initiatives to maximize profitability and growth. Ensures opportunities for revenue generation are identified and developed to increase market penetration in early development through post-approval services. ...
Provides leadership and oversight of global business development for Biopharma Partnerships by defining strategy, governance, planning and execution of innovative initiatives to maximize profitability and growth. Ensures opportunities for revenue generation are identified and developed to increase market penetration in early development through post-approval services. Develops and cultivates Biopharma relationships and works cross-functionally with colleagues to create proactive solutions and flexible commercial models that deliver value for PPD's Biopharma Partnerships. Fosters a high performance business development team by mentoring, coaching and developing to achieve revenue targets.
- Provides global leadership of the business development team and strategic partner portfolio. Ensures achievement of gross authorization targets, profitability and growth of new strategic partnerships.
- Performs strategic landscape analysis and executes a comprehensive sales plans for the strategic partner portfolio. Monitors client assignments and staff performance to track achievement of sales/authorization targets across accounts. Proactively addresses variances.
- Establishes short and long-term objectives for business development team ensuring alignment with corporate strategy and goals. Ensures consistent delivery of top-line sales goals and targeted profit contribution.
- Provides collaborative leadership with the strategic partner, alliance and growth account teams, as well as, operational colleagues to broaden and expand PPD’s service offerings and support strategic selling initiatives.
- Oversees profitability by monitoring profit/loss. Manages operational expenses in order to achieve PPD profitability targets. Achieves year-over-year financial growth while maintaining service quality to strategic partner accounts.
- Assesses client satisfaction and recommends opportunities for improvement to ensure the overall success of strategic partnerships in collaboration with assigned VP Strategic Partnerships.
- Stays abreast of market trends and identifies opportunities for penetration of additional partnerships.
- Provides management & strategic direction to the business operation/corporate function. Participates with senior leadership in developing and authorizing business plans.
- Objectives largely tied to company-wide performance
- Serves as principal spokesperson for the business unit or function on highly significant matters
- Decisions typically have direct influence on company profitability or growth; P&L responsibility or significant budget accountability/direct impact.
- Bachelor’s degree required; 15 years of experience in Contract Research/Drug Development sales industry to include 7 years of sales management experience. Proven sales history with breadth of domestic geographic responsibility and account management.
Required Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Advanced leadership skills and business acumen with a comprehensive understanding of the organization and functional areas
- Strong customer relationship management skills
- Strong commercial acumen with skills to identify and develop sales leads, professionally present capabilities, manage the sales process through close and handle all aspects of contract negotiations
- Strong competitive and business intelligence with ability to convert strategies into profitability & business growth
- Expertise in budgeting, forecasting and fiscal management with profit loss management skills
- Demonstrated strategic planning skills
- Advanced negotiation skills
- Strong organizational agility and demonstrated drive for results
- Track record of building peer relationships and effective teams
- Demonstrated global and cultural awareness
- Ability to tactfully supervise and objectively evaluate staff
- Expertise in motivating and integrating teams
- Excellent coaching and mentoring skills
- Analytical skills as well as excellence in oral and written communications
- Ability to travel as needed, sometimes on short notice
- Ability to handle multiple issues on multiple projects simultaneously
- Strong attention to detail, prioritization and time management proficiencies
- Solid knowledge of PPD SOPs, GxPs, and FDA/ICH guidelines
- Thorough understanding of sponsor/CRO business practices and an in depth understanding of PPD operational/financial practices
- Work is performed in an office environment with exposure to electrical office equipment.
- Occasional drives to site locations, frequent travels both domestic and international.
- Frequently stationary for 6-8 hours per day.
- Repetitive hand movement of both hands with the ability to make fast, simple, repeated movements of the fingers, hands, and wrists.
- Moderate mobility required.
- Occasional crouching, stooping, bending and twisting of upper body and neck.
- Light to moderate lifting and carrying (or otherwise moves) objects including luggage and laptop computer with a maximum lift of 15-20 lbs.
- Ability to access and use a variety of computer software developed both in-house and off-the-shelf.
- Ability to communicate complex information and ideas so others will understand; with the ability to listen to and understand information and ideas presented through spoken words and sentences.
- Frequently interacts with others, relates sensitive information to diverse groups both internally & externally.
- Ability to apply abstract principles to solve complex conceptual issues. Requires multiple periods of intense concentration.
- Performs a wide range of complex tasks as dictated by variable demands and changing conditions with little predictability as to the occurrence. Ability to perform under stress. Ability to multi-task.
- Regular and consistent attendance.
Pharmaceutical Product Development, LLC is firmly committed to Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) and prohibits employment discrimination for employees and applicants based on age, race, color, pregnancy, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, religion, marital status, citizenship, disability or protected veteran or other status protected by federal, state, and/or local law.