East Coast USA’s Life Science Job Market
SummaryUSA’s East Coast is home to some of the largest Pharmaceutical and Life Science organisations in the world, including companies such as Johnson and Johnson, Merck, Celgene, BMS and more. Some of the strongest talent in the Life Science industry can be found here, with many of the country’s leading educational institutions located on the East Coast.
- Author Company: PharmiWeb.Jobs
- Author Name: Lucy Walters
- Author Email: Lucy.Walters@pharmiweb.com
- Author Website: https://www.pharmiweb.jobs/
USA’s East Coast is home to some of the largest Pharmaceutical and Life Science organisations in the world, including companies such as Johnson and Johnson, Merck, Celgene, BMS and more. Some of the strongest talent in the Life Science industry can be found here, with many of the country’s leading educational institutions located on the East Coast.
We’ve rounded up these key figures that represent the scale of the Life Science job market in the East Coast, and why the industry is evolving so quickly.
Home to around 120 academic institutions and a number of high calibre research institutions, Massachusetts has become a leading biotech hub in the United States, particularly during the course of the past decade, with the Boston-Cambridge area at the centre of this.
Due to its thriving academic ecosystem, Massachusetts has the most prepared talent pipeline in the nation and is leading the way for innovation in the Life Science industry. In recent years, according to Massachusetts Life Sciences Center, the state has achieved the following:
- 50% increase in graduates from biotech-related academic programs in the last decade
- 100% increase in master’s graduates in biotech-related academic programs in the last decade
- The highest percentage of adults in the nation with a bachelor’s degree, and the highest percentage with advanced degrees
- 2nd highest economic impact on labour in the U.S. in the pharma/biotech industry 2012-2017
The state has also built strong collaborations between academia, industry and government and are using these to continue to evolve the industry.
New York has also been placing a larger focus on transforming its Life Science industry in recent years. According to LifeSci NYC, the state has:
- 9 major academic medical centres
- 50+ hospitals
- The largest biotech workforce in the country
- 6 incubators to support early-stage life sciences companies
New York City has a workforce of more than 4 million people, including more than 500,000 healthcare workers which is higher than any other city in the nation. To continue transforming its Life Science industry, New York City is investing in growing start-up and early-stage companies and has launched LifeSci NYC – a $1 billion initiative to create 40,000 new jobs and establish the city as a global leader in the industry. To achieve this, the money is being spent in the following areas:
- $450M: spurring new research
- $530M: construction of lab and incubator space
- $20M: building a diverse pipeline of life sciences talent
New Jersey is home to 14 of the top 20 pharmaceutical companies, with a total of 3,200 life sciences companies operating across the industry. According to Choose New Jersey, the state has achieved the following:
- #3 state for Biochemists and Biophysicists
- #3 U.S. Life Sciences cluster
- #2 state for cancer drugs in development
Known as the ‘Medicine Chest of the World’, New Jersey’s biotechnology community has grown by more than 400% in less than two decades, and is one of the top states in the nation for the manufacturing of FDA-approved products.
According to Enterprise Florida, More than 1,440 organisations operate within Florida’s biotech, pharmaceutical and medical development sectors; with the state being home to the 2nd largest medical device manufacturing industry, 2nd largest pharmaceuticals manufacturing industry and 5th largest biotech R&D industry in the nation.
More than 32,000 people are employed in Florida’s Life Science industry across 525 biotech establishments, 434 pharmaceutical manufacturing establishments and more. The state is recognised as the 4th most innovative state in the country, with one of the most extensive transportation systems in the world and a number of world-class educational institutions accelerating the rate of development in the industry.
Are You a Life Science Recruiter, Currently Hiring in East Coast USA?
Take a look at our Recruiter Services Information Page for more information on how we can help, or get in touch by emailing email@example.com or by calling us on +44 (0)845 5651771 – we’d love to hear from you!