HIPAA Changes 2019 - What's New?
This seminar will be addressing how practice/business managers or compliance officers need to get their HIPAA house in order, as HIPAA is now fully enforced and the government is not using kid gloves anymore. It will also address major 2019 changes taking place with the Health and Human Services regarding the enforcement of the HIPAA law as well as detailed discussions on the Phase 2 audit process and current events regarding HIPAA cases (both in courtrooms and from real-life Audits).
Our instructor - Mr. Brian Tuttle has over 20 years of experience in working as Compliance auditor and has been an expert witness on multiple HIPAA cases. He`ll thoroughly explain on HOW and in WHAT scenarios patients can claim for cash remedies. More importantly, Brian will show you how to limit those risks by simply taking proactive steps and utilizing best practices.
Why should you attend this seminar?
This Seminar will go over steps to take "To avoid an audit" or "To survive an audit". The instructor will thoroughly explain how patients can now get cash remedies for wrongful disclosures of private health information (which leads to more audits).
- Are you on the hot seat for a HIPAA audit? How do you know?
- Are you prepared to protect your practice or business?
- What factors might spurn a HIPAA audit? Are you doing these things?
It will also address major changes under the Omnibus Rule and any other applicable updates for 2019 and beyond.
- Omnibus has changed the HIPAA landscape for good!
- This once rarely enforced law has changed and you need to know what's going on!
- Protect your practice or business!
- These day's trial attorney poses a higher risk than the Federal government!
- State laws are now in place increasing liability for patient remedies!
- What factors might spurn a lawsuit or a HIPAA audit? - Are you doing these things?
- Why are the Feds enforcing after all these years?
Areas Covered in the Session:
- History of HIPAA
- HIPAA Omnibus Rule
- How to perform a HIPAA Security Risk Assessment
- What is involved in a Federal audit and how is it conducted
- Risk factors for a federal audit
- EHR and HIPAA
- Business Continuity/Disaster Recovery Planning
- Business Associates and HIPAA
- In depth discussions on IT down to the nuts and bolts
- BYOD - Bring Your Own Device
- Risk factors that can cause an audit (low hanging fruit)
- New rules which grant states ability to sue citing HIPAA on behalf of a patient
- New funding measures.... much, much more
Who can Benefit:
- Practice Managers
- Compliance Officers
- HIPAA Officers
- Any business associates privy to private health information and under the auspices of this law.
- Any business associates who work with medical practices or hospitals (i.e. billing companies, transcription companies, IT companies, answering services, home health, coders, attorneys, etc)
- MD's and other medical professionals.
Brian L Tuttle is Keynote Speaker at ComplianceKey. He is Certified Professional in Health IT (CPHIT), Certified HIPAA Professional (CHP), Certified Business Resilience Auditor (CBRA) with over 19 years experience in Health IT and Compliance Consulting. Mr. Tuttle has worked all of those 15 years with MAG Mutual Healthcare Solutions and is now Senior Compliance Consultant and IT Manager with InGauge Healthcare Solutions (previously named MAG Mutual Healthcare Solutions).