Aeroflow Healthcare Survey: Workplace Stigmas Attached to Breastfeeding Moms Exist, Resulting in Professional and Career Uncertainty
ASHEVILLE, N.C., Oct. 12, 2018
ASHEVILLE, N.C., Oct. 12, 2018 /PRNewswire-PRWeb/ -- Aeroflow Healthcare today announced the results of a proprietary survey designed to highlight breastfeeding challenges and overarching stigmas faced by expecting mothers planning to return to work following childbirth. The third party-hosted survey polled 774 expecting mothers and was completed in one week in September 2018. All respondents were female between the ages of 18 and 44. To see the full survey results, please click here.
Notable survey results of the expecting mothers indicate:
- 62% of expecting mothers believe there is a stigma attached to workplace breastfeeding/pumping
- Over 75% of expecting mothers plan to continue breastfeeding when returning to work
- Less than 50% of expecting mothers reported a breastfeeding/pumping policy at their workplace
- 49% of expecting mothers believe workplace breastfeeding could impact their career growth
- 20% are worried about their employer's reaction to a workplace breastfeeding plan
- 29% said their employer does not have a designated lactation area
- 35% have experienced a negative interaction with a co-worker surrounding breastfeeding/pumping
- 47% shared that the need to breast pump at work made them consider a job/career change
"While we have made great strides in supporting breastfeeding moms, this survey clearly shows we have much more work to do," said Jennifer Jordan, Director of Mom & Baby at Aeroflow Healthcare. "It is concerning that negative connotations around breastfeeding and pumping in the workplace still exist. Simply put, this is unacceptable and we must do better."
Jordan continued, "We hope this study creates a groundswell of awareness and appreciation for the mothers so devoted to both their children and their careers, often at the expense of the latter. Aeroflow stands united as an organization to address these stigmas and challenges in corporate America head on by working directly with mothers, lactation consultants, and our medical partners to ensure breastfeeding tools and resources are available for those who need them most."
About Aeroflow Healthcare
Aeroflow Healthcare was founded Asheville, NC in 2001 as a home oxygen provider, and has since grown to become one of the leading durable medical equipment providers nationwide. For three consecutive years, Aeroflow has been ranked on Inc. Magazine's List of 5000 Fastest Growing Companies. In 2017, Aeroflow was also awarded the HME Excellence Award for Best Home Medical Equipment Provider and has been recognized as a business offering top-notch benefits to employees with the Great Place to Work Award. Aeroflow is an accredited Medicare and Medicaid provider and accepts most commercial insurance. To learn more about Aeroflow Healthcare and getting medical equipment through insurance, visit Aeroflowinc.com.
SOURCE Aeroflow Inc.