Massachusetts Medical Society Announces Members of Search Committee for New England Journal of Medicine Editor-in-Chief
The Massachusetts Medical Society, publishers of the New England Journal of Medicine, today announced the appointment of a search committee to seek and recommend candidates to be the next Editor-in-Chief of the Journal.
NEJM Group announced in September that Jeffrey M. Drazen, M.D., Editor-in-Chief of the Journal since 2000, will retire within the next year. Dr. Drazen will continue to lead the Journal until a successor is in place.
The committee will be chaired by Lynda Young, M.D., Past-President of the Massachusetts Medical Society. Beverly Woo, M.D., of the Department of Medicine at Brigham and Women’s Hospital and a faculty member at Harvard Medical School, will serve as vice-chair. Both serve on the Society’s Committee on Publications.
Other members of the committee are:
- Alain Chaoui, M.D., FAAFP, President, Massachusetts Medical Society;
- Karen Antman, M.D., Dean, Boston University School of Medicine;
- Harris Berman, M.D., FACP, Dean, Tufts University School of Medicine;
- Edward W. Campion., M.D., Executive Editor, the New England Journal of Medicine;
- Lois Dehls Cornell, Executive Vice President, Massachusetts Medical Society;
- George Q. Daley, M.D., Ph.D., Dean, Harvard Medical School;
- Jack Evjy, M.D., Past-President, Massachusetts Medical Society;
- Terence Flotte, M.D., Dean, School of Medicine, UMass Medical School;
- Danny Jacobs, M.D., President, Oregon Health and Science University;
- Thomas Lee, M.D., Chief Medical Officer, Press Ganey, and NEJM Catalyst Leadership Board Founder;
- Joseph Loscalzo, M.D., Ph.D., Chairman of the Department of Medicine, and Physician-in-Chief, Brigham and Women’s Hospital;
- Graham McMahon, M.D., President and Chief Executive Officer, Accreditation Council for Continuing Medical Education
- Erika von Mutius, M.D., Professor of Pediatric Allergology, Dr. von Hauner Children’s Hospital of the University of Munich, Institute for Asthma and Allergy Prevention, Germany;
- John Noseworthy, M.D., Chief Executive Officer, Mayo Clinic;
- Chana Sacks, M.D., MPH, Images Editor, the New England Journal of Medicine, Division of General Internal Medicine, Massachusetts General Hospital;
- David Spriggs, M.D., Associate Editor, the New England Journal of Medicine, Director of the Gynecologic Oncology Program, Massachusetts General Hospital Cancer Center.
“Each step in the process of selecting the next Editor-in-Chief is critically important,” Dr. Chaoui said. “I have full confidence that the search committee will leverage its collective expertise to execute a search that will be exhaustive, extensive and, most importantly, yield a leader who can meet and exceed the Journal’s standards and commitment to excellence in medical publishing.”
Dr. Drazen will serve as an advisor to the committee, along with Christopher R. Lynch, Vice President for Publishing, NEJM Group; Stephen Morrissey, Executive Managing Editor, NEJM; and Theresa Sciarappa, Vice President, Chief Operating Officer/Chief Human Resources Officer, Massachusetts Medical Society.
About the Massachusetts Medical Society
The Massachusetts Medical Society (MMS) is the statewide professional association for physicians and medical students, supporting 25,000 members. We are dedicated to educating and advocating for the physicians of Massachusetts and patients locally and nationally. A leadership voice in health care, the MMS contributes physician and patient perspectives to influence health-related legislation at the state and federal levels, works in support of public health, provides expert advice on physician practice management, and addresses issues of physician well-being. Under the auspices of NEJM Group, the MMS extends our mission globally by advancing medical knowledge from research to patient care through the New England Journal of Medicine, NEJM Catalyst, and NEJM Journal Watch family of specialty publications, and through our education products for health care professionals: NEJM Knowledge+, NEJM Resident 360, and our accredited and comprehensive continuing medical education programs.
View source version on businesswire.com: https://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20181102005362/en/