Duchenne Muscular Dystrophy (DMD) Drugs - Worldwide Markets to 2023 - ResearchAndMarkets.com
The "Duchenne Muscular Dystrophy (DMD) Drugs Market Size, Share & Trends Analysis Report By Therapeutic Approach (Mutation Suppression, Exon Skipping, Steroid Therapy) And Segment Forecasts, 2018 - 2023" report has been added to ResearchAndMarkets.com's offering.
The global duchenne muscular dystrophy (DMD) drugs market size is expected to reach USD 4.11 billion by 2023, expanding at a CAGR of 41.3% during the forecast period. Several factors such as emergence of mutation-specific therapies, growing target population, and favorable government initiatives are driving the market.
The DMD therapeutics market has only three approved products - Exondys51, Translarna, and Emflaza. Increasing uptake of mutation-targeted therapies is likely to boost the sales of branded drugs. However, stringent regulatory procedures and lack of standardized protocol for determination of clinical efficacy are key challenges for the market.
Exon-skipping platform is estimated to hold about 45% of the market share by 2023, driven by increasing adoption of Exondys51 and impending approval of golodirsen and casimersen. Mutation-specific therapies, such as Translarna, are anticipated to face limited adoption due to premium pricing. Associated adverse effects of steroid therapy make them a less favored treatment option.
The DMD drugs market is projected to become intensely competitive in medium- to long-term. The sector has witnessed delays and denials of several key products by the U.S. FDA due to insufficient trials. Raxone (by Santhera) and Givinostat (by Italfarmaco) remain the most strategically significant R&D pipeline assets for the DMD market, with good possibility of regulatory approval during the forecast period.
Further key findings from the report suggest:
- Exon-skipping platform dominated the therapeutic approaches in 2017, capturing nearly 40% of the market. Exondys51 is estimated to be the leading drug for DMD by 2023
- Mutation-suppressive therapeutics and steroids are projected to witness healthy growth due to increasing adoption of Translarna and Emflaza
- Translarna received conditional approval in Europe in 2014 for treatment of nonsense mutation DMD patients who are in ambulatory state and are 5 years or older. Exondys51 and Emflaza have not been approved for DMD treatment in Europe
- Sarepta, PTC, Santhera, Italfarmaco, and Catabasis are some of the key players operating in this arena
- Sarepta is poised to lead the market by 2023 due to higher adoption of Exondys51 as well as anticipated launch of pipeline candidates
- Sarepta Therapeutics
- PTC Therapeutics
- Santhera Pharmaceuticals
Chapter 1 Research Methodology
Chapter 2 Executive Summary
Chapter 3 Disease Primer and Epidemiology
Chapter 4 Global Duchenne Muscular Dystrophy Drugs Market Overview
Chapter 5 Duchenne Muscular Dystrophy Drugs Market: Pipeline Intelligence
Chapter 6 Company Profiles
Chapter 7 Market Outlook
For more information about this report visit https://www.researchandmarkets.com/research/9z9qvs/duchenne_muscular?w=4
View source version on businesswire.com: https://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20181109005282/en/