Pemetrexed Market to Surpass US$ 2,347.6 Million by 2026 – Coherent Market Insights
According to Coherent Market Insights, the Pemetrexed market was valued at US$ 2,062.5 million in 2017, and is projected to exhibit a CAGR of 1.3% over the forecast period (2018–2026).
Key Trends and Analysis of the Pemetrexed Market:
Pemetrexed (brand name Alimta) is a chemotherapy drug manufactured by Eli Lilly and Company indicated for the treatment of pleural mesothelioma and non-small cell lung cancer. Alimta is a patented drug of Eli Lilly and Company, it has vitamin regimen patent in the U.S. and Europe up to 2021 and pediatric exclusivity in the U.S. up to 2022. However, the patent for the compound for Alimta expired in the U.S. in January 2017, and expired in major European countries and Japan in December 2015.
Hence, various key players in the market have developed the generic version of Pemetrexed and gained its approval from regulatory bodies. Launch of the generic version is expected to rise affordability and support pemetrexed market growth. However, it is expected to affect Eli Lilly and Company’s Alimta market share.
For instance, on July 17, 2018, the German Federal Patent Court declared the German section of European patent EP 1 313 508 for Alimta, which would originally have run until 2021, void. Hence, following this in July 2018, STADAPHARM GmbH, the subsidiary of STADA Arzneimittel AG launched Pemetrexed STADA generic version of Alimta in Europe.
In 2017, Eagle Pharmaceuticals Inc. received the U.S. Food and Drug Administration tentative approval for its diluted version of Eli Lilly and Company blockbuster cancer drug Alimta.
Eli Lilly and Company is dedicated to frequent research and development in order to expand the indication of Alimta and to generate high revenue benefits.
For instance, in June 2018, Eli Lilly and Company received the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) approval for a new indication for ALIMTA (pemetrexed for injection) in combination with carboplatin and KEYTRUDA (pembrolizumab) for the initial treatment of patients with metastatic nonsquamous non-small cell lung cancer (NSCLC), irrespective of PD-L1 expression status. Approval for Pemetrexed (Alimta) for multiple indications is expected to support and drive the global Pemetrexed market growth over the forecast period.
Furthermore, Eli Lilly and Company is focused and working to prevent the launch of a generic version of Alimta in the U.S. from where Alimta generates about 50% of its revenue. For instance, in June 2018, Eli Lilly and Company received the favorable result from U.S. District Court and prevented Hospira Inc. and India’s Dr. Reddy’s Laboratories from launching a generic version of Alimta until the patent expires in 2022.
To know the latest trends and insights prevalent in this market, click the link below:
Key Market Takeaways:
- The market is expected to exhibit a CAGR of 1.3% during the forecast period (2018–2026). This growth is attributed to frequent approvals and launch of new Pemetrexed and high prevalence of cough and cold.
- North America Pemetrexed market is expected to account for the largest market share during the forecast period, owing to high prevalence of non-small cell lung cancer and high treatment rate in the region.
- Various generic players such as Eagle Pharmaceuticals Inc., and STADAPHARM GmbH have developed the generic pemetrexed. However, they are not able to enter the U.S. market due to patent of Eli Lilly and Company’s Alimta up to 2022
- Eli Lilly and Company is expanding indication of its Alimta in order to generate more revenues from it. For instance, in 2012, Alimta received FDA approval, as maintenance therapy for locally advanced or metastatic NSCLC, following initial ALIMTA-plus-cisplatin treatment for locally advanced or metastatic nonsquamous NSCLC.
- Some of the major players operating in the global Pemetrexed market include Eli Lilly and Company, Stada Arzneimittel AG, Eagle Pharmaceuticals, Inc., and Others
About Coherent Market Insights:
Coherent Market Insights is a prominent market research and consulting firm offering action-ready syndicated research reports, custom market analysis, consulting services, and competitive analysis through various recommendations related to emerging market trends, technologies, and potential absolute dollar opportunity.
View source version on businesswire.com: https://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20190128005386/en/