Genome Medical Expands Clinical Team to Meet Growing Demand for Genetic Expertise
SOUTH SAN FRANCISCO, Calif., Feb. 11, 2019 /PRNewswire/ -- Genome Medical, a leading nationwide telegenomics technology and services company, today announced it has expanded its clinical team by appointing clinical leads for each of its virtual specialty clinics in cancer, cardiovascular health, reproductive health, pediatrics and proactive health.
As of December 2018, the company also announced a new virtual clinic specializing in pharmacogenomics. Pharmacogenomics is the application of pharmacology to genomics in order to determine which medicines and dosages are the most safe and effective for a person based on their genetic profile.
"With the addition of several new members to our team, each specializing in fields of medicine that are ripe for genetic intervention, we are equipped to meet the needs of patients and providers in pursuit of more precise genetic and genomic care," said Steven Bleyl, M.D., Ph.D., chief medical officer of Genome Medical. "Genomics is unique in that it cuts across all specialty areas. In light of this, we offer experienced, trained professionals who can guide providers and their patients on the appropriate course of action when navigating genetic information. We are excited to support the advancement of genomic medicine by making genetic expertise more accessible and actionable than ever before."
With more than 40 genetic specialists on its clinical team – including medical geneticists, genetic counselors, primary care doctors and pharmacists – Genome Medical is uniquely positioned to provide comprehensive genomic medicine services in all 50 states. Like a traditional medical group, it is a collaborative team that is able to review, assess and make care decisions on behalf of and in cooperation with patients.
Genome Medical has created these leadership roles in order to better serve increasing demand across all of the company's service areas. As a nationwide medical practice, Genome Medical receives the majority of patient referrals from providers based on a medical indication. Among patients who self-refer and seek Genome Medical's services on their own, approximately 61% are seen for diagnostic purposes and 39% are pursuing proactive health management to learn how genetics may affect their risk for disease. Within the diagnostic self-referrals, approximately 28% are seen for cancer, 5% for cardiac conditions, 5% for pediatrics, 25% for other diagnostic conditions, 17% for a known familial condition, and 19% for reproductive health.
Genome Medical's clinical leadership now includes:
- Alan Rope, M.D. Dr. Rope is Genome Medical's pediatric genetics lead. In his nearly 20 years of clinical experience, he served as a staff physician and medical geneticist at Kaiser Permanente Northwest and as an associate clinical professor of pediatrics at the University of Utah School of Medicine.
- Catherine Fine, M.S., C.G.C. Catherine is Genome Medical's cancer service lead. She is a board-certified genetic counselor with nearly 15 years of clinical experience and serves on the American Board of Genetic Counseling. She is a former clinical associate professor in the department of genetics at the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill and previously founded Triangle Genetic Counseling.
- Lindsay Meyers, M.S., L.C.G.C. Lindsay is Genome Medical's cardiovascular genetics lead. She is a board-certified genetic counselor specializing in cardiac genetics and has more than six years of experience in pediatric cardiology at Primary Children's Hospital in Salt Lake City.
- Betsy Swope, M.S., C.G.C. Betsy is Genome Medical's reproductive health lead. She is a board-certified genetic counselor with more than 17 years of experience. She has worked at the University of Michigan, the University of North Carolina and Progenity, Inc.
- Scott Weissman, M.S., L.C.G.C. Scott is Genome Medical's proactive health lead. He is a board-certified genetic counselor with more than 15 years of experience in adult-onset genetic disorders and a focus on cancer genetics. He is a board member of the National Society of Genetic Counselors. Scott previously worked at NorthShore University HealthSystem and several genetic testing companies.
"Genomics holds tremendous promise to improve the health and well-being of all through more personalized treatment plans," said Lisa Alderson, CEO, Genome Medical. "Expanding and strengthening our clinical team with innovators who are uniquely equipped to bridge the gap between available genetic expertise and the demand for genetic services will accelerate our collective progress toward a future in which genomics is a part of everyday care delivery."
Genome Medical offers telegenomics technology and services for hospitals, health systems, employers and consumers. Through the company's cloud-based genomic care delivery platform, it delivers on-demand access to genetic experts for virtual visits and provider-to-provider consults, in addition to educational and training services such as patient risk assessment tools and consumer e-learning resources. Genome Medical has served patients in all 50 states.
About Genome Medical
Genome Medical is a national telegenomics technology and services company bringing genomic medicine to everyday care. Through our nationwide network of genetic specialists and efficient genomic care delivery platform, we provide expert virtual genetic care for individuals and their families to improve health and well-being. We also help healthcare providers and their patients navigate the rapidly expanding field of genetics and utilize test results to understand the risk for disease, accelerate disease diagnosis, make informed treatment decisions and lower the cost of care. We are shepherding in a new era of genomic medicine by creating easy, efficient access to top genetic experts. Genome Medical is headquartered in South San Francisco and is backed by Canaan Partners, GE Ventures, Illumina Ventures, Kaiser Permanente Ventures and HealthInvest Equity Partners. To learn more, visit www.genomemedical.com and follow @GenomeMed.
View original content to download multimedia:http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/genome-medical-expands-clinical-team-to-meet-growing-demand-for-genetic-expertise-300792462.html
SOURCE Genome Medical