Feed Your Skin...And Water It Too!
SummaryAyurveda, the 5,000-year-old system of healing from India, suggests a holistic approach to skin health and luster - eating right, and rehydrating the skin from within are crucial aspects of skin care.
- Spices recommended for each skin type should be incorporated into the daily diet. In addition to having therapeutic properties of their own, some spices act as "carriers" of the benefits of other foods, especially when sautéed in a small amount of Ghee.
- Cumin and coriander are considered good for all skin types; they enhance digestion and cumin is also effective as a toxin hunter.
- Generally, people with Vata skin can add moderate amounts of black pepper, ginger and turmeric.
- Pitta skin benefits from cooling spices such as fennel and licorice.
- Kapha skin benefits from pungent spices such as pepper, ginger, cloves and turmeric. Spices should be cooked, not eaten raw. Herbal teas that incorporate spices are a quick, simple way of including them in your diet.