Sleep Disorders Market Analysis 2008-2018
SummaryWhich current or future therapies will drive the sleep disorders market from 2008 to 2018? What is the patient identification rate for each of the therapeutic areas? What is the present state of the disease awareness? What R&D opportunities exist for ‘new comers’? Which key companies are involved in the market?
This report will tell you. The report focuses on the market for following sleep disorders:
• Restless legs syndrome (RLS)
• Narcolepsy and
• Obstructive Sleep Apnoea / Hypopnea Syndrome (OSAHS)
More than 80 sleep disorders have been identified. They affect over 200 million people worldwide. The market penetration for insomnia drugs has not reached saturation point. Opportunities remain. But with the introduction of several new products the market is set to see changes. The expansion is based on increased general awareness, physicians’ better comprehension of the significance of this disease and the positive role that a sleep medication prescription plays.
At present time there are several prescription sleeping medications available to treat insomnia. The market-focus has been driven by the production of sleep medications with less side-effects and danger of overdose. Prescription benzodiazepines and newer non-benzodiazepine hypnotics developed in the 1990s, such as Imovane, Ambien and Sonata will continue to be the most prescribed.
Visiongain predicts that market share by volume for insomnia in the US will change significantly from 2008 to 2018. Ambien IR lost its patent protection in April 2007, which opened to generic competition for Zolpidem. Ambien will remain the market leader for the short term, but what will over take it? A generic version of Ambien is expected to achieve strong market share by volume as there is a great demand for zolpidem tartrate for insomnia.
Key findings that will broaden the scope of the sleep disorders market:
• Over the next decade, the development and improvement of sleep disorders therapies will primarily depend on the success of burgeoning technology and innovative approaches.
• It is possible to purchase prescription medications online without producing a prescription. Purchase of online sleep medications has increased and will continue to evolve over the next years.
• The impact of DTC advertising has created an improved awareness of available insomnia treatment. This is likely to increase as DTC advertising continues to prosper and the culture becomes more accepting towards insomnia treatment. Visiongain expects the market for sleep disorders to increase, driven by a growing awareness of sleep disorders and by campaigns to promote sleep medications, both by DTC advertising and consumer education. The relaxation of DTC marketing restrictions in the 1990s in the US set the stage for a flow for both branded and unbranded advertising and promotional programmes. Those regulations are prompting more responsible DTC advertising on the industry's part.
• The FDA has requested that all manufacturers of sedative-hypnotic drug products, a class of drugs used to induce and/or maintain sleep, strengthen their product labelling to include stronger warnings concerning potential risks.
• The Committee for Medicinal Products in Human Use (CHMP) of the European Medicines Agency (EMEA) approved Neurim's Circadin a prolonged-release melatonin as monotherapy for the short-term treatment of primary insomnia characterised by poor quality of sleep in patients aged 55 or over. Neurim is actively seeking strategic alliances for the major European markets.
Why should you buy this report?
• This report focuses on the marketed medications and the pipeline development for sleep disorders from 2008 to 2018. It also discusses the strength and weakness of products, along with the opportunities and threats facing the market.
• The report describes world market situation for sleep disorders, namely insomnia, narcolepsy, RLS and OSAHS, with forecasts made for all key products. It also describes the insomnia market situation in the seven major world markets for sleep medications: the US, Japan, France, Germany, Italy, Spain and the UK, with forecasts for key products.
• The report provides transcripts of visiongain’s interviews with experts in the field of sleep disorders, which reviews the future direction of the sleep disorders treatment market.
- PRICING -
• Departmental copies (this entitles up to 5 individual users in your department) of this report are available for only GBP£2999. This is not suitable for library usage.
• Allow your whole company to have access to this information for only GBP£4999. Company-wide License allows your whole company access and intranet use on CD Rom and .pdf. Suitable for library storage and use.
• Does your company have over 2,500 employees? Have the whole company access this information for a special rate of only GBP£6999