Surgical masks have been in high demand since the beginning of the Covid-19 pandemic.
SummarySurgical masks have been in high demand since the beginning of the Covid-19 pandemic. They are now widely used in public and healthcare settings. What is 3ply Surgical Mask?
- Author Company: Bristol Mask
- Author Name: Stefan Delaunay
- Author Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Author Telephone: +441172396268
Surgical masks have been in high demand since the beginning of the Covid-19 pandemic. They are now widely used in public and healthcare settings.
As the name suggests, a 3-ply surgical face mask has 3 layers of protection. These 3 layers are described as follows:
● The outermost layer is made up of non-woven fabric, which serves as a fluid repellant.
● The middle layer is a high-density melt blown filter layer that acts as a barrier to germs and dust particles.
● The innermost layer consists of non-irritating and skin-friendly composite fiber which functions as a moisture absorber.
These surgical face masks are made up of spun bound, a non-woven fabric material that comprises raw polypropylene particles, and a Meltblown cloth which is mainly made up of propylene(5).
● Spun bound fabric functions as a moisture absorber, it is lightweight and breathable.
● Melt blown cloth plays a role in neutralizing heat and oil absorption. It also increases the surface area to provide good permeation.
Face masks are provided with a Nose Bridge that holds the mask in place for a long period of time. It makes the mask sit properly on the nose and saves spectacles from fogging up. These masks are also secured with ear loops that keep them steady and eliminate outer air pressure.
Bacterial Filtration Efficiency (BFE) is the measure of protection against biological aerosols such as bacteria, viruses, microscopic fungi, pollen, and dust. BFE of these surgical face masks is approximately equal to 99%, making it a high filtration barrier.
The classification of surgical facemask is majorly based on bacterial filtration efficiency. It is classified into Type I, Type II, and Type IIR(2).
● Type I face mask; Its BFE is greater than or equals to 95% and is highly protective when used at homes or in public.
● Type II face masks; it has approximately 98% BFE and provides maximum filtration.
● Type IIR face masks; Their efficacy is greater than 98% which makes it best to use during these times of Corona and is ideal to use by paramedics, health care workers, and patients. They are also known to provide resistance to fluid secretions such as those from cough and sneeze.
However, these masks do not cater to varying individual sizes and can be worn for up to 2-3 hours(3). One should avoid touching the mask or face with hands. It should be disposed of as a clinical waste, in case it gets contaminated with body fluid or blood which is a frequent occurrence in masks worn by health care workers(4).
Surgical Masks can help protect from large airborne particles. This should be coupled with frequent hand washing, adequate use of alcohol-based sanitizer, and maintaining a distance of 6 feet/ 2 meters from the general public to help prevent the spread of Covid-19 to a greater extent.
Where to find Surgical Face Masks made in the UK?
Because of the unprecedented crisis we are facing with Covid-19, the idea was to be independent and not reliant on any offshore production. The shortage of PPE in the United Kingdom was a difficult reality we faced.
Bristol Mask Limited is the only factory able to produce and distribute surgical and disposable mask in Bristol and around.
Surgical masks Type II and Type IIR with 99.9 BFE are available for a next day delivery.