Coronavirus (COVID-19) Update: Daily Roundup
SILVER SPRING, Md., July 9, 2020 /PRNewswire/ -- The U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) today continued to take action in the ongoing response to the COVID-19 pandemic:
- Today, a U.S. District Court in Florida granted a motion for default judgment and a permanent injunction against the Genesis II Church of Health and Healing, Jonathan Grenon, and Jordan Grenon for violating federal law by distributing their product, "Miracle Mineral Solution," an industrial bleach that the defendants claim is a cure for COVID-19 and other serious diseases. The order issued today permanently prohibits the defendants from selling or distributing unapproved or misbranded products, such as Mineral Miracle Solution (MMS). In prior warning statements, the FDA has urged consumers not to purchase or use MMS, explaining that drinking MMS is the same as drinking bleach and can cause dangerous side effects, including severe vomiting, diarrhea, and life-threatening low-blood pressure. In May, the federal judge entered a preliminary injunction against the Genesis II Church of Health and Healing and four individual defendants associated with the entity.
- Testing updates:
- To date, the FDA has currently authorized 171 tests under EUAs; these include 142 molecular tests, 27 antibody tests, and 2 antigen tests.
- FAQs on Testing for SARS-CoV-2
- Policy for Coronavirus Disease-2019 Tests During the Public Health Emergency (Revised)
- Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19)
Media Contact: Lee.Herring@fda.hhs.gov
Consumer Inquiries: 888-INFO-FDA
The FDA, an agency within the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, protects the public health by assuring the safety, effectiveness, and security of human and veterinary drugs, vaccines and other biological products for human use, and medical devices. The agency also is responsible for the safety and security of our nation's food supply, cosmetics, dietary supplements, products that give off electronic radiation, and for regulating tobacco products.
View original content to download multimedia:http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/coronavirus-covid-19-update-daily-roundup-301091221.html
SOURCE U.S. Food and Drug Administration