Asia-Pacific Opthalmic Drugs Market region is anticipated to expand at a CAGR of 4.9% during the forecast period 2020-2025
The global ophthalmic drugs market is anticipated grow moderately, at a CAGR of 4.2% during the forecast period (2020-2025). Visual impairments have increased across the world, owing to a multitude of factors. Varying in degree, visual impairments are a global health concern, affecting individuals physically and psychologically.
It is estimated that around 25% of the American population will suffer from cataract by 2020 while diabetic retinopathy patients will rise by nearly 20%. As a consequence, the demand for ophthalmic drugs is increasing. Moreover, rising FDA approvals for different drugs, such as Shire’s Xiidra, a lymphocyte function associated antigen-1 (LFA-1) antagonist, are leveraging market prospects.
To remain ‘ahead’ of your competitors, request for a sample>>> https://www.factmr.com/connectus/sample?flag=S&rep_id=4799
Key Takeaways of Global Ophthalmic Drugs Market Study:
- By disease indication, the retinal disorders segment is set to dominate the ophthalmic drugs market. A burgeoning pool of retinal disorder patients is projected to leverage the segment’s market share. It is estimated that the number of people afflicted by age-related macular degeneration (AMD) hall reach 288 million by 2040. Projected market share of retinal disorders segment is pegged at 4.7% in the forecast period.However, the glaucoma segment is set to soar in popularity. This is attributed to a rising pool of glaucoma patients and the presence of important glaucoma drug manufacturers such as Pfizer and Novartis. The glaucoma segment is set to grow staggeringly at a CAGR of 3.5%, capturing two-fifth of the market.
- By therapeutic class, the anti-glaucoma drugs segment is prophesied to capture a major chunk of the global ophthalmic drugs market. This is attributed to increasing prevalence, higher inclination towards combination methods and rising initiatives for treatment penetration. Also, industrial focus on development of glaucoma treatment drugs shall leverage the segment’s growth. Anticipated CAGR for anti-glaucoma drugs is 3.3% and a market share of over two-fifths.
- By product type, over-the-counter drugs (OTC) segment is anticipated to be the most attractive of the global ophthalmic drugs market. OTC drugs are suitable for the treatment of seasonal infections such as conjunctivitis and dry eyes. These drugs also offer relatively short duration treatment. The OTC drugs segment shall dominate the global ophthalmological drugs market, accounting for more than half of the total market share.
- By distribution channel, independent pharmacies and drug stores are anticipated to expand rapidly at a CAGR of 4.8%, capturing a market share of more than half the total ophthalmological drugs market. The high growth rate is due to its convenience, security, electronic payment technology and a wide range of available medications and services.
- By region, North America shall capture almost two-fifth of the global ophthalmological drugs market during the forecast period. This is attributed to high cost of prescription drugs and presence of key market players such as Novartis AG and F. Hoffmann- La Roche, Ltd. Asia-Pacific is anticipated to expand modestly at a CAGR of 4.9%, attributed to increase in funding for research and presence of key market players in the wake of a large patient pool.
“The global ophthalmic drugs market is set to grow positively in the future. Rising prevalence of visual impairments has encouraged important market players to establish drug formulation and development businesses in key regions. Their primary focus in on developing new formulations to improve market footprint,” concludes a Fact.MR analyst.
Global Ophthalmic Drugs Market: Leading Players to Constitute Three-fifths of the Market
The global ophthalmic drugs market is consolidated. The top four players constitute more than three-fifths of the market. These players are Novartis AG, Regeneron Pharmaceuticals, Inc., ALLERGAN and Santen Pharmaceutical Co., Ltd. These companies primarily concentrate on developing new drugs and innovating their development formula.
For example, Santen Pharmaceutical Co. and Singapore Eye Research Institute announced a strategic, five-year extended collaboration to develop new technologies for unmet medical needs in key ophthalmological domains in 2017. The company manufactures prescription drugs for corneal, retinal and glaucoma diseases, which include Diquas, Tapros, Alesion and Eylea. Novartis AG, another player, integrates new products into its existing pipeline of drugs. It specializes in innovative medicines and includes ophthalmic drugs products like Lucentis and Travoprost.
The global ophthalmic drugs market demonstrates significant growth promises during the course of the COVID-19 pandemic. Recent studies have concluded that ocular transmission of the virus poses a great threat to non-infected persons. It has been established that COVID-19 patients develop eye irritation and conjunctivitis, thus requiring immediate attention. As a result, there has been an uptick in the demand for ophthalmic drugs across various healthcare settings. Fortunately, several countries have announced partial lifting of lockdowns, allowing manufacturing capacities to resume at normal levels. Moreover, logistical arrangements such as inter-state and inter-country transportation of essential goods have also eased. This is expected to fill the gaps in the demand-supply equation which was present since the past few months.
Looking for more information?
The research study on the global ophthalmic drugs market by Fact.MR incorporates an unbiased assessment of key factors and trends responsible for shaping the landscape of the global ophthalmic drugs market over 2020-2025. It includes a detailed assessment of key parameters that are anticipated to exert influence during 2020-2025. Market statistics have been presented on the basis of disease indication (Dry Eye, Glaucoma, Infection/Inflammation, Retinal Disorders, Allergy, Uveitis and Others) therapeutic class (Anti-Inflammatory Drugs, Anti-Infective Drugs, Anti-Glaucoma Drugs, Anti-Allergy Drugs, Anti-VEGF Drugs And Others), product type (Prescription Drugs and OTC Drugs) and distribution channels (Hospital Pharmacies, Online Pharmacies and Independent Pharmacies & Drug Stores) across five major regions.
Fact. MR’s Domain Knowledge in Healthcare
Fact .MR’s healthcare and research professionals guide organizations at each step of their business strategy by helping you understand how contemporary influencers impact transformation in the healthcare sector. Our expertise in recognizing the challenges and trends affecting the global healthcare industry provides valuable insight and support, helping identify critical issues and construct relevant solutions.
Access Research Methodology Prepared By Experts>>> https://www.factmr.com/connectus/sample?flag=RM&rep_id=4799
Fact.MR is an independent, pure play market intelligence firm incorporated with an objective to deliver high quality, customized market research solutions that help our clients successfully go to the market equipped with actionable insights capable of impacting crucial business decisions.
Unit No: AU-01-H Gold Tower (AU),
Plot No: JLT-PH1-I3A,
Jumeirah Lakes Towers, Dubai,
United Arab Emirates
Ph. No: +353-1-6111-593