Techmer PM Targeting the Medical Device Sector With Its Proven, Trusted Materials Design Expertise
Compounder to showcase several of its technologies –– from antimicrobials to plastic colors and additives for drug delivery –– at the MD&M West show
CLINTON, Tenn.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Techmer PM LLC, the Clinton-based compounder and materials design firm, has a robust portfolio of products and technologies to present to MD&M West attendees in Anaheim, Calif., April 12-14. In addition to introducing its new “HC” brand of materials for medical devices and healthcare applications, Techmer experts will be on hand in Booth #2362 to discuss its broad range of solutions, including:
* Silver ion- and copper-based antimicrobial technologies. Designed to kill or prevent reproduction and colonization of harmful microorganisms on the surface of the device or textiles such as hospital garments and bed linens. This is vital for fighting hospital-acquired infections (HAIs), which the U.S. government estimates kill nearly 100,000 people per year in the U.S. alone.
* Low-retention, fluorine-free technologies for pipettes, labware and drug-delivery devices, such as its Plaslube® HC internally lubricated engineering thermoplastics. These help reduce friction and provide for complete evacuation of contents, which is vital given that many modern medicines can be thick and viscous, requiring additional pressure when dosing. The resulting materials offer a high-performing alternative to the increasingly restricted PFOA and PFAS chemical ingredients typically used in such applications.
* Additives that stabilize sterilizable resins such as polycarbonate, polypropylene, polyethylene, and other base polymers. These are effective against the undesired effects of both the gamma and e-beam sterilization processes and help eliminate yellowing, brittleness, and premature failure. Techmer embeds its nontoxic, powerful stabilizers into the polymer matrix of these resins, thereby boosting physical property retention significantly and reducing odors by as much as 60 percent.
* Colorants and additives that meet ISO10993 and USP Class VI compliance. Techmer PM has tested colorants and additives used to produce materials –– in both compound and masterbatch forms –– that meet ISO10993 and USP Class VI compliance. This allows it to formulate a product that will give customers the confidence that their products will meet those strict requirements when their device is tested, increasing the speed to market for medical device manufacturers.
* Rapid color prototyping and enhanced speed to market. Techmer PM’s team can leverage its HC portfolio of proven healthcare technologies along with its in-house-developed, web-based TechmerVision design app to execute reliable, rapid color prototyping. This helps customers quickly design safe and reliable drug-delivery devices. In addition to ensuring the colorants are ISO 10993 and USP Class VI compliant, Techmer’s team of materials design experts will formulate with the least amount of shrinking and warping, ensuring the highest dimensional stability for the tightest tolerance requirements
* Gaining ISO 13485 certification. Additionally, Techmer on March 17 completed a Stage 2 audit for ISO 13485 certification at its Batavia, Ill., site, which is already ISO 9001 certified. This is the final step in confirming that its quality management system at the plant conforms to all the requirements for safe medical device manufacturing.
* Unique laser marking solutions for medical devices. Inks and dyes can be messy and pose a safety risk when labeling drug delivery devices. Techmer PM’s Hifill® HC laser marking additives are non-leachable and sterilization-proof and provide a safer alternative to labeling and tracking drug-delivery devices.
All of these technologies, notes Technology Vice President Dr. Bhushan Deshpande, are formulated with low extractable pigments and additives so that the drug maker can have the highest confidence that the components within the delivery mechanism will not leach into the drug, ensuring safe and reliable service to the patient.
These are just some of the cutting-edge materials solutions that Techmer PM will be showcasing on Booth #2362 at the upcoming MDM West show. Be sure to stop by to learn how Techmer can help you succeed in the demanding medical market.
About Techmer PM
Founded in 1981, Techmer PM LLC is a materials design company that specializes in modifying and fine-tuning the properties of technical polymers. The company thrives on collaborating with plastics processors, fabricators, designers, specifiers, and brand owners. Drawing on a broad portfolio of resins –– from polyolefins to PEEK –– Techmer PM helps manufacturers enhance product function and appearance in scores of end-use markets. The award-winning firm operates six North American plants and has extensive expertise in virtually every plastic- and fiber-related process, from additive manufacturing and blown film to nonwovens, injection molding, and sheet extrusion. Techmer PM has been recognized six times since 2014 by Plastics News on its list of “Best Places to Work” in North America’s plastics industry.
Learn more at www.techmerpm.com.
Techmer PM LLC