World Lupus Day 2021
Lupus is a global health problem that affects people of all nationalities, races, ethnicities, genders, and ages. Lupus can affect any part of the body in any way at any time, often with unpredictable and life-changing results.
Important Facts to Know about Lupus:
- It is a serious and potentially life-threatening autoimmune disease.
- It can damage any organ or tissue from the skin or joints to the heart or kidneys.
- It develops in response to factors both inside and outside of the body; however, the exact cause of Lupus is unknown.
- Symptoms of Lupus come and go and change over time which makes it difficult to diagnose. Common symptoms include joint pain, skin rashes, overwhelming fatigue, and fevers that last for days or weeks.
- Lupus is not contagious.
- Whilst there isn’t a cure for Lupus, it can usually be managed through early diagnosis and expert medical care.
Who has Lupus?
- An estimated 5 million people worldwide have Lupus.
- It can strike anyone at any time, but 90% of people living with Lupus are women.
- It develops most often between ages 15 and 44 and lasts a lifetime.
- People of all races and ethnic groups can develop Lupus.
World Lupus Day
Since 2004, and led by the World Lupus Federation, lupus organisations around the globe have conducted activities on May 10 to raise awareness and educate the public about the symptoms and health effects of Lupus.
Raise Awareness on Social Media
This year for World Lupus Day on May 10, 2021 we’re going to Make Lupus Visible using the power of social media to show the world the many faces of lupus and the impact of this debilitating autoimmune disease. Learn more about lupus and how to get involved to Make Lupus Visible this year for World Lupus Day at https://worldlupusday.org/.
About the World Lupus Federation
The World Lupus Federation (WLF) is a coalition of lupus patient organizations, united to improve the quality of life for all people affected by lupus. Through coordinated efforts among its affiliates, the Federation works to expand global initiatives that create greater awareness and understanding of lupus, provide education and services to people living with the disease and advocate on their behalf.
- Related Links